Sunday, July 22, 2007

Bitter... Sweet


My kids are so different from each other! Today at lunch my daughter gladly ate her grilled cheese in hopes of having fresh fruit as her reward. She is also motivated by a cookie or cake! My son is not so easily motivated. He would not touch the sandwich for any bribe whatsoever. So what's a mom to do? Offer him a bite of my Greek feta salad of course.

So back to the scene today.. we're eating lunch and my son is completely disinterested in his half of the sandwich. He is not a sandwich eater. I really can't blame him, I'm not either. So my husband offered him a bite of his chicken salad *ahem* SANDWICH, to which JB says a polite "No, I no want that sandwich." So I offer him a bite of my salad and he is thrilled! He asked for a piece of onion in his bite and I obliged. My husband was in mid-sentence "I can't believe you gave him a bite of onion" and my son signed for more.

JB has been eating Caesar salad with me since he was in the womb and he picked up the habit again around the age of two! So when all else fails, my son will gladly eat the following: Caesar Salad, Greek Salad, Sensation Salad, Chips and Salsa, Lemons (but no lemonade - too sweet), Pizza, Pasta, Cantaloupe, Oranges, Chips and Salsa, anything with garlic and Chips and Salsa - well you get the picture. He will accept cookies or cake if offered, he's not a total freak!!

It is neat to see them having tendencies that we can attribute to Mom (me) or Dad (hubby). My son is a more finicky eater and my daughter truly has a more daring taste for food. HC will try anything and JB wants to try anything, but he just might hurl if it has a weird texture or an unexpected twist. Clearly HC has her daddy's flare for trying anything edible once and JB has the unfortunate claim to my quick hurl reflexes! Sorry JB!

7 comments:

Seister2 said...

Awww so cute!! :o)

Glass Half Full said...

I am trying to lick the screen....it's not working!

Amber said...

Your son has good taste--no pun intended, I like everything on that list too, even the lemons...well, I guess I'm a freak though, I'm not much of a chocolate eater.

0:) amber

Anonymous said...

I think it's awesome he loves salads & onions, etc!

Anonymous said...

Wow, your daughter can be bribed with fruit - that is wonderful!!

I grew up a pretty picky eater... I liked plain things and didn't like to try new things too often. But as I've gotten older my tastebuds have changed and I have started to enjoy more foods!

Jane, P&B Girls

Just Mom said...

Your son has sophisticated tastebuds. Very cool. Mine is a carb-o-holic, although he does surprise me by eating the occasional broccoli.

Kris said...

Ooo, the chocolate cake!
K