Monday, June 30, 2008

Mommy Time!!

Last week was a time of leisure for my family. It was the first time hubby and I went on a trip alone, since having children (there will be a few pictures later - I need to download them from hubby's camera). It was the first time we did not bring the kiddo's along for the ride! Leading up to our departure I went from anxiety, not sleeping, planning mode to "I'm ready to get out of here"! Quite the roller coaster of emotions but in the end I left the house without a tear and the kids were pushing us out of the door. That was an answer to prayer because if I go to any sort of event for the evening the kids grab hold of me begging me not to leave. They are often crying - even though Daddy is home (and they both LOVE Daddy time!). So that was a miracle in and of itself!

So, we departed and finally arrived to our destination - Puerto Rico. My husband was on a business trip - the kind that was a reward and the meetings were over breakfast only. The rest of the time was fun fun fun!! I needed that more than I realized. When you first become a Mom and all your leisure time is filled with the needs of a little one - you wonder when you will have time to be you again, without interruptions. Soon you forget to wonder that. Being on that journey for 5 years and going strong (and then adding Home School to the agenda)- it was refreshing to do EVERYTHING with ease.

If I had to go to the bathroom - I went (without an audience) and I only had to make the potty run ONCE. Not again, 5 minutes later, due to a child that was determined they did not have to go the first time. One potty trip - business handled - task complete. If I was hungry - I ate. I ate without getting up or nudging a wee one to take a bite or telling them to sit down and that they had to eat OR ELSE.... When I wanted a nap - I didn't have to do acrobats to get both children down first. I simply laid down and slept. I ate dinner at the normal 8 PM instead of the crazy 5 PM.

When I wanted to get IN the water at the beach - I did. When I wanted to lay back and catch some rays - I did! When I wanted swim in the pool - I did! All of this without the "Mommy, look at me! Mommy it's MY turn to jump to you. Mommy, I am too hot/hungry/tired/happy" or God knows what other excuse!

It was strange to be in the immediate gratification mode again! FREEDOM!! To some who may happen upon my blog today - you may falsely judge that I do not love my babies or that I am pained by motherhood. (Although I do not know of a mother without a few battle scars!) I am neither! I ADORE my kids - I didn't think I would be able to step onto the plane and leave them in another place without me. But once I did - I was rushed back into a world I once knew of, but had long forgotten. The world of doing what I want, with ease.

I realize now that I am ready for this phase of motherhood - the one where I give myself regular breaks! Five years without a Mommy break was fine but I see how we all could benefit from this being an annual event. It was so refreshing! Way more than I expected! The only down side I can see was jumping right back into responsibility world. It was a little jarring at first - especially so when I realized (after 24 hours of straight whining and complaining by HC) that my sweet girl had a stomach bug. Having four days of no whining/arguing/complaining by my angels and being thrown into a full blown melt down was a bit cruel I thought! Now having the diagnose behind us - I see clearly that life is once again good!

My kids are playing and laughing - and I can hear them! My HC is singing as she plays, again, and I have the privilege of listening. Our personal entertainers are back on stage (in our living room) for another show! My family is all together again - there is nothing better than that! All is well - and I am refreshed! Who could ask for anything more?? (And HC seems to be feeling better today too!! WooHOO!!)

6 comments:

Just Mom said...

FABULOUS!

btw ... It's because we love our children that we take time to take care of ourselves too. I'm glad you got a chance to get recharged and refreshed.

Ole Miss Mom said...

FUN!!! I wanna see some gorgeous pics from the beach! Who kept the kids??

Glad you guys got a break!

Jessica said...

Ditto on the first comment! We cannot adequately care for our kids until we have taken care of ourselves first! Glad you got to go have some fun with your husband! I am sure he was glad to have you all to himself this weekend!

Rachael said...

How much fun!!! Good for you guys...I can't wait to do something like that with my man soon. :)

annieck said...

Yea for you!!! That's awesome!!! :) I'm ready for one of those trips, but I don't think Asher is just yet. :)
I'm so glad you had fun! Can't wait to see pics!

The Maggio Family said...

what a beautiful tribute to motherhood & the need to escape it occasionally!