I'm really enjoying the book "Captivating" that I've been reading. It's one I've had on my shelf for about 1 year and I've finally made my way to opening the cover. I think this was the time I needed to read this book the most. I love when He leads me to a treasure like this one - at just the right time. :) God is so good! He is our pursuer! He is our protector! He is in CRAZY love with us! I so love Him!
This book is about 'Unveiling the Mystery of a Woman's Soul'. WOW! Well, from what I've read thus far (and I'm on chapter 6 now) this book is so very revealing to the attacks that Satan has had on women from Eve onward. Satan didn't just choose to deceive Eve randomly - he chose her as his target for very specific reasons. It is so amazing to see the heart reason for this attack and how this lie has been so readily bought by the entire human race (yes - that means men and women have bought this lie). It is eye opening at the very least. It clearly shows what God designed women for and how Satan has corrupted that and/or distorted it so much that we don't even know why we ache in the pit of our soul for that something that we instinctively KNOW is missing. But we do.
Anyway, at the beginning of chapter 6 a familiar scripture is shared and then put in modern lingo. It is the scripture that Jesus read when He officially started His ministry, it is from Isaiah 61: 1-3.
The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me,
because the Lord has anointed me
to preach good news to the poor.
He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted,
to proclaim freedom for the captives
and release from darkness for the prisoners,
to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor
and the day of vengeance of our God,
to comfort all who mourn,
and provide for those who grieve in Zion ----
to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes,
the oil of gladness
instead of mourning,
and a garment of praise
instead of a spirit of despair.
This is what Jesus was most passionate about - this was the core desire of His heart for ministry.
The modern lingo of the scripture above:
God has sent me on a mission.
I have some great news for you.
God has sent me to restore and release something.
And that something is you.
I am here to give you back your heart and set you free.
I am furious at the Enemy who did this to you, and I will fight
against him.
Let me comfort you.
For, dear one, I will bestow beauty upon you
where you have known only devastation.
Joy, in the places of your deep sorrow.
And I will robe your heart in thankful praise
in exchange for your resignation and despair.
(From the book 'Captivating' by John and Stasi Eldredge)
He loves us - OH how He loves us! OH how He loves us! OH how He LOVES! (If you haven't listened to that song I posted on my blog a few days ago via youtube- you need to listen to it and drink in the truth of His love! He loves us dearly! The depth of His love is amazing! I adore Him!)
Wednesday, August 19, 2009
I've Been Captivated by THE Picture of Love
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
So appreciating the things you have been sharing. Blessings to you.
Sylvia
Thank you Sylvia! Your words are much appreciated!
Blessings to you!
Melodye
Hi Melodye Have just ordered the book. I have such a passion and burden for women, and myself of course, to realise who we are in God and all He has for us and to hear His words of truth. Thank you for recommending it.
Bless you Sylvia
Sylvia,
Since that is your heart - I must say.... you will LOVE this book! I'm nearly done. Chapter 7 brought me to tears because it speaks of ways God romances us and I have found myself on a 3.5 year journey of God doing just the sort of things mentioned in chapter 7. It is an amazing glimpse into His heart and it helps see other vital things more clearly too.
I'm glad you ordered it - it's a book I'm tempted to go buy a few more of so I can give them away to friends! I'm nearly done with the book now - I can't put it down for long.
Enjoy!! :)
Blessings,
Melodye
I had thought the same about giving some away. Haven't read it yet, of course, but, like you, I have been on an amazing journey experiencing God's heart for me. Although I was a totally committed Christian for 20 years, in my 30s, I had another life-changing experience when He just told me over and over again how much He loved me, just as I am, and has been "romancing me" ever since. The book will be here in 2/3 days!
Love this post!!! Keep 'em coming - I think I'm gonna go pull the book off my shelf!! :D
Post a Comment