Wednesday, February 6, 2008

I stopped comparing, for today.

It is easy to dismiss the good you ARE doing when you are busy comparing your journey to others. I thought we were not getting enough Bible in our lessons, once I looked at what we were doing I found we were fine all along.

We were:
1. Listening to Bible story CD's (with music too) in the van

2. I read Bible verses repeatedly until HC began saying "Shh, shh Mom. I want to say it by myself." (Like the Lord's Prayer)

3. We have learned 3 Bible scriptures (not counting the passages mentioned in #2)

4. We read Bible Stories - we have a collection of Veggie Tale books that discuss character issues like Sharing , etc.

5. We read prayer poems

6. We start our school day with worship

7. We pray. HC is even telling me "I trust God Mom. I told God I trust Him to help me with x-thing." This has become a common statement lately. Which tells me SHE is praying on her own too!

Anyway, just wanted to say that when we are busy comparing our journey to another person's journey - we often miss what we ARE doing right. Not to mention the constant supervision of me, Mom, has taught my kids conflict resolution. They are friends (9 times out of 10). Not in theory. They really ARE friends. They take care of each other, they help each other, they encourage each other, they LIKE each other, they are genuinely kind to one another!! That doesn't just happen!! It isn't my doing, it is a God thing. Obviously God knows how to reach my kids hearts and He is busy doing just that! What an awesome thing to recognize!

So I will stop comparing my journey to yours for today. Then tomorrow, I will choose to stop again! Such an easy thing to say but so difficult to do. I think we all tend to look to our fellow Moms, and their kids, as a barometer for our kids. It is easy to forget that our kids are different. They have different gifts, talents and abilities as well as different emotional needs and different methods of learning. God is the only one with the plan that will work. He knows how to lead us so we can lead them! I hate to say that I tend to check in with my Mom friends on how they handle x-issue before I pray sometimes. I hope to seek Him first in this area. I will do that today!

3 comments:

Renee said...

Good for you...I always remind myself not to "look to the right or to the left" as I seek Christ for our family. Easier said than done, for sure!

Just Mom said...

Amen, Amen and Amen.

Your words hit home.

Rachel Harris said...

Well said!

By the way, I tagged you for an "E for Excellent Award" http://keeptheway-christianacademy.blogspot.com/2008/02/you-like-me-you-really-like-me.html

Blessings
Rachel