Monday, June 2, 2008

Struggling to Grow

Over the weekend I made JB a pair of pants. He had to take off his shorts so that he could try the pants on - that way I could see where I needed to adjust the pants. We did this several times, and although JB has been dressing and undressing himself for sometime, I really noticed the struggle it was for him to do this simple task. It took so much effort and so much concentration. Something I do not even think about any longer is so much work for him. We had to battle with him a little on Sunday because he didn't even want to try to take off his shoes. He knew we were more than able and we wanted to show him how to do this for himself.

His desire for ease versus our desire for him to grow and learn. To develop skills that are basic skills. It made me stop and think. First of all - how often do we all want the easy way out. We know someone else is more-abled than we are in an area and so we don't want to even bother trying - let them do it! Why should I go through all this effort and struggle when they can do it without a thought. I sat and watched my little guy wrestle his will with ours. I watched him finally give a meager try with success. The success didn't please him, but over time - before we know it - he too will be dressing himself without even needing any of our help. HC needs our help less and less each day! As much as I enjoy my kids at their stages today, I know it will not benefit them one bit to keep them bound to needing me for the mundane tasks.

Thankfully, Father God keeps drawing us to grow and stretch too! I am one of those people who LOVES learning! I love to accomplish things and scratch them off of the list! I am also one of those people who drags their feet when change approaches me. I do it - but I do it scared! I doubt myself and I am not eager to change. How boring would life be if we stopped growing! I love the details that God added when He created heaven and earth! He knew the joy we would experience at each level! He knew that we would need the challenge of growing! What details!! He didn't leave a thing out!

3 comments:

Momma Roar said...

I loved this post - it reminded me of a song, but I can't get it...if I remember it, I will come back :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Melodye! Since I enjoy your blog so much, I thought I'd send you a link to mine! You have inspired me :)

Mine will deal solely with my mission trip to Africa in July. Check it out and see what you think!
http://web.mac.com/stephomy

Alycia said...

Thanks for such an encouraging post! It really helped me to think differently about some areas in my life.

Blessings...