Monday, September 8, 2008

Livin' it up with Homeschool Days

While HC does her math pages JB creates things with the remaining blocks. HC working on her Math worksheets (these were what we used before we received Right Start).
She loves doing these.
One of the bigger rewards for her is joining JB in play after the 'work' is done.
We studied the Moon and HC made a mobile of the sun, moon and stars.
She was so proud of herself.
During our study of the Sun (I think) we put some nice plump grapes on the window sill and we made our own raisins. They finally finished becoming raisins (or at least that is the story I told the kids - I was beginning to see gnats and that is the finish line for me!).
Pretty good results huh?
Then HC created a hat like the bear in the story we read.... and she drew a picture and retold the story to me while wearing her hat.
Our last study was on leaves. HC learned about leaves and going your own way vs. going the way God wants you to go. She really enjoyed learning about each of our lessons thus far.
We read the book 'A tree is Nice' and she made a book of her own about why trees are nice.

We are finishing up our study on apples this week and then our first break of the year. We've worked hard and are due a little break from the daily grind. We've added a new math program that I LOVE!!! We are using Right Start and she absolutely LOVES it. She has really learned a bunch so far. We are learning poems in our language studies and returning to our reading. We have a full load but it is just challenging enough to push her while remaining simple enough to keep things fun! I am so pleased with this year thus far. The curriculum I found is really making our year fun - My Father's World is truly keeping HC's interest and that gives me the freedom to slip a few extras in there without her feeling burdened! More updates to come!!

5 comments:

AngelGirl said...

WOW! what busy little bees you guys are! makes my head spin!!! sounds likethe kiddos are learning a ton! how much fun!! love you guys!

Momma Roar said...

Looks like lots of fun at your place!

I think one of the greatest rewards for Quintin, too, is to play with Elle once he is finished! I love how they love playing together, don't you?

Ole Miss Mom said...

First...LOVE the new header pic...very very very cute!

Sounds like you guys have been busy! And learning a TON!! You're doing a great job!

How's the sewing coming??? ;-)

Rachael said...

You rock, Melodye!!! You're such an inspiration!!! I can't wait to order My Father's World for next year. :)

Anonymous said...

I just ran across your blog through another B'ham blogger. I am a local school teacher and I just had to make a comment. What you are doing as part of your curriculum is wonderful! Your children are using manipulatives to discover new concepts and then apply them to the real world. Just perfect!