Friday, December 14, 2007

Live Nativity

I was going to wait and post this next week but we had so much fun and I wanted to share it today! We went to a local church and walked through a live nativity. There were about 10 different scenes for us to view and it all ended with a small petting zoo and Hot Chocolate! (Every time I say "Hot Chocolate" I think of the scene in Polar Express when the waiters dance and serve the kids! I digress..)

This was our first adventure of this kind!! We excitedly waited our turn in line. They let us go in groups of 20 or so. We were free to go from station to station and listen to the story for each scene. So here are the scenes we visited:
A family preparing to celebrate Christmas today.
The Prophets telling the people of a Savior to come. At this scene there were two little lambs and one was baa-ing a lot. So my HC began to baa right back. Every time HC baa-ed the little sheep baa-ed. It was hilarious! HC had so much fun!!

In this scene Mary (above) was visited by an angel telling her she would become pregnant with the Savior, Jesus Christ! The angel also visited Joseph (below) in a dream to tell him of he and Mary's role for the coming Savior.
Below Mary and Joseph hear the decree to be counted and head to Bethlehem.
In the next scene a single angel appeared (not photographed) to the shepherds in their fields. Then the angels filled the heavens singing "Glory to God in the Highest"!!

Here are the shepherds seeing the angels.
Here is Mary and Joseph in the stable with Baby Jesus in the manger.
Mary and Joseph and Baby Jesus in town when the man saw Jesus before he died. (Can't remember the man's name. oops)
Here are the Magi seeing the star. They are headed to bring their gifts to Jesus and bow and worship Him!
Mary and Jesus beneath the star.
The 3 Magi bringing their gifts of Gold, Frankincense and Myrrh.
The three crosses remind us that Jesus came to earth for us. His sole mission was His love for us!!But He was not defeated!! He rose again and lives to intercede for us to Father God! He was born and died because He loves us!!
So beautiful!! So fun and memorable! I know my kids did not understand what was happening as I wished they would, but I know it was a fruitful time. I think the next time we read the story of Jesus' birth these scenes will be in their little minds and make the story easier to follow and remember! I am thankful that this Church had such a great idea!! Their props were lovely and the atmosphere was so kind and pleasant! A beautiful night of fun for us all!
The next thing we did after seeing all of the scenes was grab some cups of Hot Chocolate!! :) HC clearly enjoyed hers!
We also ate some yummy cookies!
On our way to pet the animals JB had a little accident. Can you see it?
He was walking down hill and so every step was more exaggerated. Therefore his Hot Chocolate (hear those waiters saying HOT HOT yet???) was bouncy out of his cup and gladly landed on his nice and clean white shirt!!!!! He would not look at me, although after much effort I finally got a good picture. He was devastated and wanted to strip down immediately. It didn't burn him. It had cooled by the time he spilled it!! By the way (to those friends who may go and see the nativity) if you decide to take pictures you may want to try taking them withOUT a flash. I think that is why all of mine are so hard to see. The scenes were fully lit but I think my flash interfered somehow and I didn't get the best shots, as a result.

Overall I am beyond thrilled that we went to the Live Nativity and I look forward to making this a Christmas tradition for years to come!!

MERRY CHRISTMAS FRIENDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7 comments:

annieck said...

Looks like LOTS of fun! I'm about to start getting the boys ready so we can go!!! :)

sharon brobst said...

Wow...looks like great fun! I've never seen a live nativity like that before...great idea!

annieck said...

I'm glad you posted pictures because we aren't going to be able to go. :( I was getting ready and getting ready to get the boys ready, and I before I could get Tristan ready, he fell asleep. Sadly, we'll miss it. Tristan loved the one we went to last year so much, I hate to miss this one, but there's no way I'm going to wake him up. Plus, I was going to have to take both boys by myself because Channing's not feeling well.
AND, sadly I won't be able to take a picture of the lamb! :(
Thanks so much for sharing your experience. I will live vicariously through you!

AdoptedAsHisOwn said...

Love the live nativity!!!!!
Love the mess on JB!! Looks like my children!
And of course love the cute mustache on H

Anonymous said...

I've never been to a live nativity, but always thought it would be awesome. Thanks for sharing your pictures.

Love the pictures of the kids...cute as always even with chocolate everywhere...yummy, my kind of kids!

M.S. said...

Hey, we have been to that before... it is so fun! We will miss this year, but hopefully we can go again! THanks for posting the pics...it brought back good memories. See you soon!

Ole Miss Mom said...

We went Fri night...Landon got a bloody nose running and tripping on the curb - the spotlight was shining on his face and he couldn't see when to step up! AHH..it was fun but that definitely made things a little crazy! We loved the hot chocolate too!