Monday, August 11, 2008

Learning About the Sun

Last week our lesson was about the Sun! We made a shadow sundial. This was after a few hours of tracking the sun.
We also created a real sundial - this was fun for the kids. They always love watching shadows or noticing them. So watching how the shadows moved every time we checked it was fun.
And HC painted a sun. JB painted too but it was more abstract. :) They both love to paint.
The scripture learned was "Jesus is the Light of the World". I was surprised at what they retained this week. Week 3 of school and our official second lesson topic. I am loving that I have a guide this year. Last year I pieced my teaching tools together. We managed fine but this year it is more fun having a topic direction to enhance the basics of reading and math.

During the Sun lesson I think the kids' favorite thing to do was go into their rooms and turn off the lights. They tried to walk without the lights on and then they walked while I held a flashlight! This was right up their alley! They loved the simple thrill of trying to walk without stepping on a toy or bumping one another! We are loving My Father's World!

8 comments:

Short Stop said...

Melodye,

I regularly stalk your blog and never comment...and here I am a so-called experienced blogger and not commenting. Sometimes I'm feeding Lincoln and can't type, but alas, today I'm leaving you a long overdue comment.

This is SUCH a great idea. I bet the boys would LOVE this. One of my best friends uses MFW, and LOVES it.

It looks like you all have had a great summer! I hope you have a wonderful school year.

Momma Roar said...

Yes, we loved learning about the sun last year too!!

Great memories for sure!

One of our favorite games was to play flashlight tag on the ceiling at bedtime :)

Stephanie Drew said...

how fun! what curriculum do you use?

The Maggio Family said...

you are such a good mom. i cant imagine homeschooling. you seem to be so good at it--really enjoy it. i'm so thankful you've helped me so much. thanks.

Happi said...

That's a great idea!

I love reading your blog and know it will remain a source of inspiration over the months to come for me. : ) Sorry I don't always comment. I always stop by to read it though.

Blessings,
Happi

Lori said...

Looks like a fun time.
My your kids are growing.

Wanted to stop by and say hello.
Hope you are having a great summer.

Hugs, Lori

Melanie Evans said...

The Sun Lesson was so fun! We have honestly LOVED all the lessons so far! I honestly can't pick a favorite, but I did enjoy learning about the octopus! A very unusual and strange creature! Good to see you last night! I can't wait to get to spend more time w/you and meet your kids this year! :)

annieck said...

I love the hands-on learning! Way to go!!! :)