The definition of 'Masterpiece' is a very great work of art; a person's best work or highest achievement.
I know at times the mundane daily life of staying home with my kids seems so small. It seems like it isn't big enough. Anyone could do what I am doing. What is so significant about breaking up arguments, teaching them to read, correcting the same error over and over, wiping their bottoms, cleaning up mess after mess after mess, breakfast, lunch and dinner, shopping, park time, and on and on the list could go. Where is the significance? Where is the beauty?
I just heard someone say "Your child is your masterpiece." I know that is true. It is an easy thing to forget in the daily grind of life but... every little lesson I teach my kids matters. Every tickle matters, every hug matters. They are going to eventually be on their own and participate in society. My contribution now matters.
Of course I know my part in this experience, a helper and not the true maker. I am on staff for The Most High and I must represent Him well. I am not perfect and I do not make all the right choices but... I am responsible for doing my best and trusting Him to fill in the spots I miss. He fills in where my temper is running the show instead of me. He fills in when I miss something of value to my kids, by dismissing it as a small thing. He fills in when I am a poor example of what is lovely, true and of a good report.
I must not forget the masterpieces I have in my hands right now are not finished. I am still adding to these two works daily. My masterpieces will not be all mine forever. My masterpieces will have their own agenda and freedom to choose what they do with their time. My masterpieces will not need me to do it all one day. I need to enjoy every minute before I look back and wonder when my masterpieces grew up. I just needed to remember this today. Today I plan to enjoy every minute I have with my two favorite masterpieces.
Wednesday, January 21, 2009
A Masterpiece
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I only saw part of the swearing in as I was at work. Yes, what a day! It was the first election Jenna could vote in and there was much talk at our house over the whole process and outcome.
Hope you read my post as to what my plans are from here on out.
You had a rough day, too, huh? ;)
Great words of wisdom, Meloyde.
GREAT GREAT post, my friend!!
Wonderful post! My Favorite Boy turns seven tomorrow, and I feel the time is flying by so quickly. I want to do everything I can with my masterpieces before my precious time with them is gone!
P.S. Did you get the reply I sent about Disney? I just wanted to be sure you got it!
Not quiet sure how my last comment unded up on this post, hmmm. Oh well...
No, not everyone can do what you are doing. It takes tons of hard work, commitment, and sore knees from bowing before the throne to ask for wisdom and guidance for each new day. It's a tough job, but it's the greatest.
I have a cool thing to post for you. I'll try to find it and put it in an email or on FB.
Post a Comment