Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Choose Life.... Choose Blessings

Thinking about the curses side of the table, it does seem harsh for a curse to be passed down through generations at all. When I think of it that way it is a bit sad but I see the scripture states the curse in Exodus 20: 4-6 refers to those who hate God. It isn't like they are unsure of what they think of God but they hate God. They hate what He stands for and they hate His ways no matter what. Hate is defined as to dislike intensely or passionately. Synonyms for hate are loathe, despise, or detest. There are many more but this isn't a simple "I don't understand you God therefore I say no to you." This is an active agenda of hate.

I think that is the kind of hate that exists in an extreme few. Maybe I'm naive but I think the number of people who hate God with that kind of venom and agenda are few. I think the average person who says no to God may not hate Him, they may just not understand Him. I think God is not so harsh with those who simply cannot come to a decision, although consequences occur for not choosing. You must choose God or you will not be saved. It does require a decision. But to those who actively pursue hatred towards Him, to those there is a generational curse that is involved.

I think of the racists out there as an example to use. For those involved in extreme hate groups against one race or another - they often pass their agenda of hate onto their children. They are not passive in their desire to influence their children in their opinion. They are active and it is clear that if a child is raised in that naive single view of the world - they too will manifest that same racism. If they somehow have other influences in their lives that have enough influence to counter that agenda of hate... that child may form his own opinion and not adopt the hate of their father. It may take a few generations for the truth to pierce into a family. Just look at how long this nation took for a generation to look past color and to the individual. It is still a battle that some fight - they are seen as a race first in some peoples eyes versus being seen as a person who matters. Over 40 years to begin seeing a glimpse of hope in that area. Racism is an example that makes it so it is easy to see how a generation can be influenced to adopt a toxic view of the world.

I think those extreme examples, although that is not the only way people show hate towards God, show how some are never willing - there entire life - to see beyond their small view of truth. That extreme person will never say yes to God and will never let go of their agenda, unless God performs a miracle in their life. That is totally possible but considering a generational curse made me wonder what it would take for God to decide to allow that curse to remain for more than a single generation and I see now how a family can choose to reject truth as long as they choose to. God's choice would be that they see Him in truth and receive Him. But they do have a choice to reject Him - God doesn't force Himself on us. He wants us to choose Him. God prefers to bless but we actually choose the curse when we reject Him.

(Just wanted to note that I know Job didn't sin and had hardship/trials that were not warranted and were a test of his faith. There are times that hardships are purposed beyond us and come into our lives as a way to glorify God. Not saying that never happens but I am strictly speaking to the incidents where we do bring a curse upon ourselves by rejecting God's truth in specific areas. "Idols on our heart block worship, idols are there because we believe lies." Idol worship of any kind brings a curse upon our lives, no matter how small it may seem. A curse produces death in your life - it limits you. A blessings produces life in your life - it opens you up to more life.)

It is hard to imagine God allowing curses on us - His children. How could He? But I know there are times, as a parent, that you realize some lessons will not be fully received until the consequence of that choice is allowed to fully play out. There are times we, like our kids, need the full weight of our consequence for our choices to show us the effect a decision has on our life (and possibly has on the lives of those around us). As a mom, I would MUCH rather my kids take my advice and listen to my warnings but I know that they are human and must test the system. It is what we do. But no matter how much I want to guard them and keep them from experiencing sadness, disappointment or hurt... I know that certain experiences will often stick with them way longer than my warnings.

So, curses exist. It's sad but true. As the scripture says in Deuteronomy 30:19-20 "This day I call heaven and earth as witnesses against you that I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Now choose life, so that you and your children may live and that you may love the LORD your God, listen to his voice, and hold fast to him." God chooses life for us.... God chooses blessings for us.... any other journey into the land of curses is often by our own doing. Consequences exist for our own good because if we did not have them every now and then, we may not fully appreciate the blessings.

No comments: