Friday, May 2, 2008

Faith Builder Friday

The Parable of the Talents

Matthew 25:14-30 - This is the parable of the man who entrusted his property to his servants. To one he gave 5 talents of money, to another he gave 2 talents, and to another he gave 1 talent, each according to his ability. When he returned from his journey - the one who received 5 talents had gained 5 more. The one who received 2 talents also gained 2 more. The one who received 1 talent dug a hole and buried his talent and returned the 1 talent.

The one with 5, who doubled his talents, was told "Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master's happiness!" The man who had 2 talents and doubled his talents, he heard the same praise. The man who was given 1 talent was told "You wicked, lazy servant! So you knew that I harvest where I have not sown and gather where I have not scattered seed? Well then, you should have put my money on deposit with the bankers, so that when I returned I would have received it back with interest. Take the talent from him and give it to the one who has 10 talents. For everyone who has will be given more, and he will have an abundance. Whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken from him."

This parable has often puzzled me. Many times I have read this passage and felt the results and response was rather cruel. Then this past Sunday, while I was getting ready for church, I was listening to Jentezen Franklin and he brought a new understanding to this scripture for me. The talent - consider it your children. If you share the gifts and talents God has given with you then God will multiply your gift. Our gifts are for the next generation. It is up to us to pass them on. The one who buried his talent, buried his gifts/talents and did not pass them on. They died with him.

We are responsible for the next generation. We need to pass on the things God has shown us. We need to pass on the things God has done for us. The next generation needs what we have! Do not let your gifts and talents die by keeping them to yourself! The key part of the scripture to me is verse 15 - the talents were given "each according to his own ability"! They were each able to manage the talents they were given. One was unwilling to apply his ability while the other two were highly motivated to make the most of what they were given.

WOW! That really makes sense to me! When you put it into perspective of generations - I can completely understand the anger of God to want to take from the one with 1 talent and give it to the one with 10. The one with 10 WILL make a difference, God can't waste any time with those of us who will hide because of our fear or whatever. There is too much at risk! Generations are depending on us! He NEEDS us to be willing to pass it on! This explanation of this scripture really clicks with me! What about you? What is God showing you? Any thoughts on this passage?

1 comment:

weavermom said...

I love this passage, because to me it addresses fear. In the parable, the men who multiplied their "talents" were successful, but fear keep the last man from even trying.

I'm with you that I have always related to the man who buried his talent - at least he didn't lose it!

But God isn't that way. He wants to not be afraid and to use the gifts he has given us. If I give my kids a toy, I want them to actually play with it, not hide it under the bed for fear it will get broken.

So, I think it says that we should not allow fear to keep us from using what He has given us.

I love your point about the abilities - God knows what we can handle. I haven't thought about that aspect before and I think that is beautiful.